“Finally, be strong in the Lord and in the strength of his might. Put on the full armor of God…” (Ephesians 6:10-23 ESV)
His strength is great, boundless. His armor, perfect and all sufficient. Why the reminder?
“…that you may be able to stand against the schemes of the devil. For we do not wrestle against flesh and blood…” (Ephesians 6:11b-12a ESV)
There will be trials and temptations – schemes. Our enemy is not men – though it might seem like it many times on the outset. This reminder will help us understand how God sees people, and will help us to be channels of His grace.
Let’s look at this armor:
• belt of TRUTH (holds it all together)
• breastplate of RIGHTEOUSNESS (for close ranged attacks)
• shoes of readiness of the GOSPEL of peace (for speed, urgency)
• shield of FAITH (for long ranged attacks)
• helmet of SALVATION (for head, mental attacks)
• sword of the Spirit, the WORD of God (for fighting back!)
• PRAYING in the Spirit (our source of strength!)
“…making supplication for all the saints, and also for me, that words may be given to me in opening my mouth boldly to proclaim the mystery of the gospel” (Ephesians 6:18b-19 ESV)
We are not in this battle alone. Our brothers and sisters are also with us, and we need to strengthen one another by praying for one another and encouraging one another.