1 Corinthians 10:1-33
1 Corinthians 11:1
- Give thanks, and sing praises to God! For great are His works, how He executes His justice and grace. Give thanks for what He has done in our lives, and as a result of those experiences, what we have come to believe by faith He will do.
- When God blesses you and you gain favor in the eyes of men (especially leaders), remain humble. Don’t let it get to your head, don’t get cocky. Esther was offered half the kingdom if she wanted – all she asked was for the king to attend the feast she will prepare (twice!) Haman on the other hand was full of himself – recounting his riches, sons, promotions and honors. Spoiler Alert – this is not going to end well for him.
- Take heed: temptations will come. We will be tempted time and again to go our way instead of God’s way. God will always – always – provide a way for us to escape, so endure.
- When confronted with a spiritual issue where Christians are divided, the answer is neither easy nor clean cut. The guiding principle is this: do whatever brings glory to God. It may not be what you feel like doing, but be selfless and do it out of love for God and love for your brother in Christ.
1 Corinthians 9
- Abide in the Lord. He is able to deliver, able to protect. He answers when you call. He satisfies. Hold fast to Him in love and know His name.
- Parts of the Temple and Instruments used for the service of the Lord are carefully made and precious to the Lord. The implication is that this is true regarding one’s body (as the temple of the Holy Spirit) and of the Church as well.
- Courage as displayed by Esther – it is not the absence of fear, but doing the right thing in spite of the fear. Her courage came through faith, faith that God is in control and has a purpose for her life.
- Nothing shuts up critics and at the same time encourages believers more than living selflessly and as a good example. Selfless means to not make use of some ‘rights’ (that is, permissible things) for the sake of helping others grow in their relationship with God. This is contrary to the human nature, this is not easy or natural. So self control needs to be regularly and consciously exercised.
1 Corinthians 8
- Life is short. Teach us Lord to number our days.
- In building the house of God, it is God himself who provides the resources and the needed skills. He is able to provide in abundance.
- One person’s action can affect a whole nation – for good or for bad.
- Know about God’s law and commands, but do not let this knowledge be a source of pride or a stumbling block. Love God and love others is still the Great Commandment